CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Perfect Gift Theory

I don't ‘do’ New Year's resolutions. Granted, there may be a couple of goals in mind that I'd like to try to accomplish during the New Year but they are usually failed attempts come end of January.

However, IF I had a written list of resolutions, one of those goals would be to break out of my norm and purchase gifts (i.e., birthday, Christmas, etc.) throughout the year rather than the usual rush the day before said ‘gift day’.

Before I go any further, let me preface that I love to give ‘the perfect gift’. To me, the perfect gift is one I’m truly excited to give and one that I believe the recipient will be equally excited to receive. It can be something that I’ve put a lot of time and thought into or something someone has specifically asked for and may have thought they would never receive. It’s also one that’s wrapped nicely and not in a gift bag with tissue paper I bought at Target en route. (I know not all gifts have to be ‘things’ but for the sake of this blog, it will be today.)

Now that I’ve explained my ‘perfect gift theory’, I must admit to keeping a running list (I can imagine Kelli and Emily giggling) of gift ideas for people I typically buy for. Side note: If you don’t already know, you’ll quickly discover I make lists for EVERYTHING! However, my gift ideas may not always fall into the perfect gift category, yet they are ones I can fall back on in case I’m lacking in the perfect gift idea department. Thus, the point of this blog…

On a recent trip to Michigan, my step-dad, Stuart, saw a news article about former president Jimmy Carter having a book-signing at the local Books-a-Million on an evening he was going to be out of town. After mentioning he would go if he were in town, I immediately think…gift! So, off I go to the bookstore on my lunch hour today to pick up the book for tomorrow night’s book-signing. (FYI…his birthday isn’t until October!). One perfect gift complete…many more to go!

Now if I can just remember where I hide it for the next 9 months!

0 comments: